The real Venice at Rialto Market

{ Venice, Italy - April 2011 }

My favourite place in any new city that I go to is the market. The freshness of the morning and the energy of all the people in the market gives you a great picture of the people in the city. And, in a city filled with tourists, it was a refreshing change to be surrounded by Venetians!

We took the vaporetto along the Grand Canal, passing by St. Mark's Square to the Rialto Bridge. I mean, what more could you ask for a journey to the market? We were there bright and early, and stopped by for a quick breakfast the Italian way - standing at the bar, drinking cappuccino with croissant. After breakfast, we walked across the Rialto Bridge and right to the markets - the fruit and vegetable market, with the fish market right next to it.

I simply love the colour, the smell, the energy, the Italians (both the people and the language!). We spent hours there just walking around, looking at the produce and seafood. The fruits and vegetables looked so fresh and colourful that I simply felt like buying all of them! There were so many different types of tomatoes that I was not aware of. As for the seafood, I wonder where they were from. Hopefully, not from the water around Venice considering the number of cruise ships that visit the shores.

We could have easily spent a few hours more just observing the people there. I love to watch the Italians talk to each other. I may not know what they were talking about, but whatever it was it must be interesting - they must be if they were so full of energy, enthusiasm and passion!

  
  
  

Popular posts from this blog

Where would I go after this pandemic?

Statues of naked men

Central Vietnam with Children